Popcorn is one of the world’s most popular snack foods. It can be either healthy or unhealthy, depending which team your taste buds go for; savory or sweet. Or dare I add, super healthy being air popped and eaten with a sprinkle of salt.
If you prefer your popcorn on the sweeter side, than you’re in for a treat! Check out the demo video below on how to make caramel popcorn.
Ingredients to make popcorn:
- Sunflower oil or a vegetable oil of your choice
- 1/2 cup of corn kernels
- Pink Himalayan salt
Ingredients to make caramel:
- 50g butter or nuttelex
- 1 cup of brown or raw sugar
- 1/2 cup of milk or plant based milk (e.g. oat, almond or soy)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence/extract
Once the popcorn has cooled down, pour the caramel into the bowl and mix. Once thoroughly mixed, evenly distribute the caramel popcorn on a baking tray (lined with baking paper). Bake in the oven 160 degrees celsius for about 20 minutes. If you don’t want to put them in the oven, just leave them to set for 15 minutes and enjoy!
Some interesting facts about popcorn:
- Popcorn was discovered in New Mexico.
- Popcorn can expand to 30 times its original size when popped.
- October has been celebrated as National Popcorn Poppin’ Month.
- January 19th is National Popcorn Day.
- The world’s largest popcorn ball was 12 feet in diameter and weighed 5,000 pounds. Crikey!
- Popcorn kernels can pop up to 3 feet in the air.